These fritters come together pretty quickly and are quite tasty for the small amount of work involved. The base of the fritters is a mixture of shredded coconut and grated zucchini that is seasoned with lemon, mint, and cilantro. To add a fresh component, make a quick tomato salsa with a bit of red onion, lemon juice, cayenne, and hemp seeds.
Zucchini Coconut Fritters With Tomato Hemp Salsa [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Fritters:
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed and 6 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 small zucchini)
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Good pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped mint plus more to garnish
- 1/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour or oat flour
- coconut oil (or other oil) to cook the fritters
For the Salsa:
- 2 small tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 2-3 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons raw hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
To Make the Fritters:
- Combine the ground flax seed and warm water and set it aside to thicken for 5-10 minutes.
- Combine the grated zucchini, coconut, lemon zest, coriander, salt, lemon juice, and mint in a bowl. Gently toss to combine. Add the flax mixture and flour to the zucchini and mix until a thick batter forms.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add just enough oil to create a thin layer in the pan.
- Place heaping tablespoons full of batter into the pan and gently flatten them. You want them pretty flat or they will fall apart. Cook on each side 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Place the cooked fritters on a paper towel lined plate as you cook them. Serve warm topped with a bit of the tomato hemp salsa.
To Make the Tomato Hemp Salsa:
- Combine all of the ingredients for the salsa in a bowl and toss to combine. Set aside or store in the refrigerator until ready to use.