These noodles are bloody delicious! Beets and apples are simmered in a vegetable stock to give the sauce a rich, spooky red color. It's positively horrifying when tossed with slippery zucchini noodles. Eat at your own risk!
Zoodle Beet ‘Blood-lognese’ [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 large-ish beets, pre-cooked
- 2 red apples
- 1 small white onion
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Juice of 1/2 a large lemon (helps maintain the lovely beet color)
- A large handful of dill
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Pink Himalayan salt, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons lucuma (Optional but recommended! If not, add a drizzle of maple/rice syrup)
- 2 large zucchinis
- 1/3 cup non-dairy cream, to drizzle (optional)
- Chop up the beets, apples, and onion and boil until softened in the vegetable stock and lemon juice.
- Place the mixture into a blender and blitz until smooth. Return to saucepan and add in the dill, cumin, turmeric, allspice, salt. You may also add a bit more water or veggie stock at this point depending on how thick you want your soup. Let it simmer and infuse for about five minutes.
- In the meantime, spiralize your zucchinis. When the soup has finished simmering, take it off the heat, stir in the lucuma or syrup, then pour over the zoodles and toss to coat well. Add a drizzle of non-dairy cream at this point if you wish.