This tofu scramble is the perfect Sunday morning brunch! In this recipe, firm tofu is scrambled with meaty portobello mushrooms and fresh, wild garlic. A pinch or turmeric adds color, as well as a mild flavor that complements, rather than overpowers the other spices. Serve this hearty scramble on toast with a side of vegan breakfast sausages and maple syrup.
Wild Mushroom and Garlic Scramble [Vegan]
For the Scramble:
- 7 ounces of firm tofu
- 2 2/3 cups of portobello mushrooms, or any other variety
- 3-4 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 handful of wild garlic
- 1/2 of a red onion
For the Seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon kala namak
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- A pinch of turmeric, for color
- Plenty of black pepper
- Slice the mushrooms and red onion and cook in a bit of oil over medium heat.
- When the mushrooms have slightly browned, add the tofu by crumbling it between your fingers. Add in the spices and give it a good mix.
- Rip the wild garlic into smaller pieces and add along with the whole spinach leaves.
- Cook until spinach has wilted slightly.
- Serve warm with toasted bread.