This is a more wholesome version of wagon wheels—a popular supermarket treat I! The trickiest—and most magical—thing in this recipe is the marshmallow, which is made without animal-derived gelatin and without refined sweeteners. Instead, aquafaba has reached stiff peaks at the same time as when your syrup has been heated. The agar powder in the syrup sets quickly so it needs to be incorporated into the aquafaba and spread onto the base as quickly as possible. The marshmallow is only mildly sweet, which makes it perfect for adults!
Wholesome Wagon Wheels [Vegan]
For the Shortbread Base:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) light-tasting vegetable oil, such as sunflower
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2–4 tablespoons water
- Pinch of salt
For the Raspberry Chia Jam:
- store-bought raspberry jam
For the Marshmallow Layer:
- 1/3 cup aquafaba
- 1/4 teaspooon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon agar powder
- Dash of vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder
For the Chocolate Layer:
- store-bought vegan chocolate
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
To make the Shortbread Base:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium-size bowl. If the mixture is crumbly, add extra water and mix until it becomes a pliable dough. Firmly press the mixture into the baking pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the surface is light brown. Allow the base to cool in the baking pan.
- When the base has cooled, spread the Raspberry Chia Jam evenly on top. Set aside in the fridge.
To make the Marshmallow Layer:
- Add the aquafaba and cream of tartar to a stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Start to whip on high speed.
- Meanwhile, mix the syrup, water, agar, and vanilla in a small saucepan and place it over high heat.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, remove the saucepan from the heat. When the aquafaba has formed stiff peaks, slowly pour the hot syrup into the aquafaba while whipping at the same time.
- The mixture may deflate or separate for a few seconds; this is normal. Continue whipping and scrape down the sides of the bowl until all the ingredients are well combined.
- When the mixture is thick and glossy, quickly spread the marshmallow onto the base and smooth the surface. Put the pan in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
- When the marshmallow is firm to the touch, gently melt the chocolate and coconut cream in a small saucepan. Pour the chocolate over the marshmallow layer and return it to the fridge to set.
To Cut the Wagon Wheels:
- Run a sharp knife under hot water and dry with a tea towel.
- Use the warm knife to gently cut through the chocolate layer and the remainder of the bar.
- Eat immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. These bars will not freeze.