The batter of these whole wheat vegan nectarine pancakes is my standard, go-to recipe with the addition of a little spice. A super simple syrup goes very well with these nutty, fruity, fluffy cakes.
Whole Wheat Nectarine Pancakes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Whole Wheat Nectarine Pancakes [Vegan]
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- dash powdered stevia, optional
- 2 tbsp. wheat germ
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
- dash kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups “buttermilk” (1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, plus 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk)
- 2 tbsp. flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp. water (whisk together until frothy, then set aside to thicken)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-2 thinly sliced nectarines (use fruit that is slightly firm, not too ripe)
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1/2-1 tsp. coconut oil
- toasted, chopped pecans, for sprinkling on top of the ‘cakes
How to Prepare Whole Wheat Nectarine Pancakes [Vegan]
- In a small saucepan, gently warm the maple syrup and coconut oil. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour, stevia, wheat germ, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine the “buttermilk,” flaxseed meal mixture and vanilla extract. Stir into the dry mixture and whisk just until everything is moistened and there are no large lumps. Let sit for about 15 minutes while you heat up the griddle and pop your plates in a 200F oven to warm.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the nectarines. Set aside.
- Drop batter by big spoonfuls onto a hot, lightly oiled griddle or pan. Gently press slices of nectarine onto the tops of the ‘cakes. Wait for the batter to start to bubble before turning. When flipping the pancakes, lightly spritz the griddle with oil again otherwise the fruit will stick as it caramelizes. Keep cooked pancakes warm in the oven until ready to serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.