Vegan Naan is crunchy from the outside, super soft from the inside and full of flavors and aroma from spices, herbs, and the toppings. This whole wheat version is great, and can be paired with so many wonderful Indian dishes.
Whole Wheat Naan Bread [Vegan]
- 1/2 Cup Warm water (105°F)
- 1/4 Cup Whole wheat or spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons Yeast fresh (or dry)
- 1/4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup Non-Dairy Yogurt
- 2 Cups Whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1/2 tablespoons Salt
- 1/2 tablespoons Baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoons Garam Masala (powder)
- 1/4 tablespoons Cumin (ground)
- 2 gloves Garlic fresh (minced)
- 3 tablespoons Flax seeds crushed (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil (or sesame, rapeseed)
- Sesame roasted
- Fresh herbs (parsley, coriander)
- Prepare the sponge: mix all the sponge ingredients together in a large bowl. Cover up with a clean towel and place at a warm spot in your kitchen. Let the sponge rest for 20 minutes there.
- After that, add the remaining Naan ingredients and spices to the sponge and knead/mix well to a sticky but cohesive texture. Cover the bowl with a clean towel and let it rest at a warm place until the dough has almost doubled – so around 1-1/2 hours.
- Take the dough out, drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil on it, knead a few more times (add flour if to wet) and start rolling out the dough on a clean surface with some flour on it. Cut the dough into 4-5 dough balls and let them rest for another 10 minutes.
- Roll out the naan bowls into flatbread shapes of your choice and start topping the naan. How? just drizzle a little bit of water on top and carefully press your toppings (garlic, sesame, coriander, spices) into the naan.
- Place a large size pan on medium heat on the stove and drizzle some olive or sesame oil into the pan. Now place 2-3 Naan breads into the pan an roast golden brown from both sides. (takes around 5-8 minutes per Naan)
- Keep your Naan bread warm in the oven at around 250°F.