This lovely lemon marmalade cake is perfect for all occasions. Made from whole wheat flour, it is heartier than a traditional cake, yet still light, thanks to the addition of lemon marmalade. It pairs perfectly with the simple icing glaze or on its own with a cup of tea.
Whole Wheat Lemon Marmalade Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup lemon marmalade
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons zest of a lemon (optional)
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 355°F. Grease and line one 8-inch round cake pan. Or, generously grease and dust one 3-cup bundt pan.
- Whisk together first four ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the next four ingredients. These are liquid ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to the bowl that has liquid ingredients. Mix gently till well combined. Do not overmix. Stir in zest.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or till the top turns brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan after 5 minutes. Invert on the rack to cool. Slice when cold.
- For the glaze, mix lemon juice and icing sugar. The glaze should be thick and not runny. Pour over the cake.