Brighten up your breakfast with tangy and chunky marmalade. Keep it simple and spread it on your favourite toasted bread or bake it into your cakes and pastries for a burst of citrusy flavour! The marmalade only requires three ingredients and minimal cooking.
3-Ingredient Himalayan Lemon Marmalade [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 2 large lemons
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- Wash the lemons. Wipe them dry. Chop off the edges of the lemons.
- Peel the outer skin with a peeler. Take care not to peel too deep.
- Cut the peels into fine shreds. Keep aside.
- Cut lemons in half and then cut into segments. Remove flesh. Remove and collect all the membranes and seeds. Take membranes and seeds in the muslin bag. We will use them to make pectin.
- Take the flesh and shredded peels in a large steel wok. Add water. Place muslin bag on the side. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes or till the peels become tender. Eat one to test. If it is chewy, cook further add more water if needed.
- Remove the pectin bag and keep it in a bowl. Let it cool. When it is cool enough to handle, squeeze it get pectin. When you’ve collected enough, add pectin to the mixture.
- Add sugar.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat. It will foam up. Keep stirring continuously. Lower the flame if it is foaming up too much.
- After 20-25 minutes of cooking when it begins to thicken, drop some mixture on the steel plate If it spreads out thinly, it needs to be cooked further. If it sets and wrinkles when pushed with a finger, it is done.
- Sterilize the jars while the marmalade cools. Wash and dry the jars with the lids. Keep them in the oven. Set temperature to 100°F and timer to ten minutes.
- Ladle warm jelly into the jars. Leave 1/4-inch space at the top. Secure the lids. Once open, refrigerate.