These pancakes are are light, fluffy, and hearty all at the same time. The combination of whole grain buckwheat and oat flours provide a boost of energy, fiber, protein, and B vitamins, while cinnamon, pure maple syrup, and a bit of superfood coconut oil provide scrumptiously rich flavors. The star ingredient, seasonal blueberries, provides loads of antioxidants, nutrients, and even more flavor!
Whole Grain Blueberry Pancakes [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 3/4 cup water or non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- Combine the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl, and stir to combine. Whisk together the flax egg, water/milk, coconut oil, and maple syrup in a separate bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until the batter is smooth.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and lightly coat with some coconut oil. Pour mounds of batter onto the skillet using a 1/4-cup measuring cup. Quickly drop blueberries onto the uncooked cakes. Cook about 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top, then flip and cook 1 to 2 minutes more until golden.
- Serve warm with pure maple syrup and more fresh blueberries!