White chili … without the dairy! In this version, chopped chickpeas replace chicken and dairy is replaced with a luscious cauliflower cashew cream. The results are downright delicious. It's highly recommended that you serve this chili with fresh, crispy oven fries!
White Chili [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped into large chunks
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 4-ounce can mild green chilis
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, diced finely
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon finely ground cornmeal (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and chopped into small bits
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a medium pot. Add the cauliflower and cashews and boil for 10-15 minutes. Let cool completely and transfer to a blender, and blend the broth mixture until it is completely a smooth cream.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions for 5-7 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, jalapeño, and chilis and sauté for an another minute.
- Add the cornmeal, cumin, salt, chopped chickpeas, and white beans. Stir thoroughly.
- Add the cauliflower cashew cream to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Turn the heat to low, and let cook for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors meld. Or transfer to a slow cooker, and keep on low heat until ready to serve.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with fresh cilantro.