Tomato soup is a classic, but it’s often filled with cream or other rich ingredients. This recipe uses white beans for protein, which makes the soup heartier. You can eat this soup as a side or as an entrée, and you might want to whip it up when you’re craving some veggies, as it’s loaded with carrots, tomatoes, and kale.
White Bean Tomato Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups canned cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
- 3 cups roughly chopped fresh kale
- 2 tablespoons raw sliced almonds
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and carrots, and cook 4–5 minutes until onions are translucent and carrots begin to soften.
- Stir in tomatoes, thyme, pepper, and salt. Bring to a light boil, and then lower heat to medium-low. Simmer lightly 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and cannellini beans. Bring to a boil. Add kale and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook 15 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Top with almonds before serving.