This West Coast Kale Salad is not only super delicious and satisfying it also comes with many health benefits. Loaded with vitamins and minerals, eating this green beauty helps you fight cancer, heart disease, autoimmune diseases, and even slow down aging. With all these good things, let's make some salad for dinner tonight!
West Coast Kale Salad [Vegan]
For the Kale:
- 1 bunch dinosaur lacinato kale, stems removed, torn into large pieces
- 1 tablespoon hemp oil can substitute for flax oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juice only
For the Salad:
- 1/2 cup mung beans dry
- 2 cups mache rosettes greens or arugula
- 1 cup coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage & carrots
- 1 big handful of microgreens or sprouts
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 mandarin orange peeled and segmented
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup of hemp oil
- 1 lime juice only
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger peeled
- 1 medjool date
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds or 1 tablespoon tahini
- Start with rinsing the mung beans. Place them in a medium size pot and add 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile wash all your vegetables well.
- Place the kale (stems removed, torn into large pieces) in a large bowl and pour oil and lemon juice on top. Using your hands, massage the kale leaves, working the hemp oil and lemon juice into the leaves. If you’ve got some large leaves, tear them into smaller pieces as you go. Continue to massage for about 5 minutes, until kale is a vibrant green and has broken down. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prep the dressing by combing all ingredients in a high speed bender for about 3-5 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Pour into a mason jar or glass bottle an set aside.
- Toss remaining greens into the bowl with massaged kale. Gently mix it up.
- Place a generous serving of greens on a large plate, top with 1/2 of the sliced radishes, few mandarin orange slices and about 1/2 cup cooked mung beans. Pour a generous amount of dressing over salad, mix and enjoy.