This dish makes a wonderful meal to share with family and friends. Even if you plan to eat this cold it’s important to dress the potatoes while they are still warm, so they absorb the lemony dressing. It’s tempting to mix in tomatoes, bell peppers, and salad leaves but, in this case, simplest is best.
Warm Potato Summer Salad [Vegan]
For the Potato Salad:
- 2 lb small new potatoes
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons drained capers
- 10 black olives, pitted and chopped
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- handful of mint, chopped
- salt and pepper
For the Lemon Vinaigrette:
- scant 1/2 cup fruity green olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Gently scrub the potatoes – don’t peel them – and cut in half or into quarters, depending on their size. Put into a saucepan with a pinch of salt and cover with plenty of water.
- Bring to the boil and cook for about 10 minutes, or until just tender. Do not overcook or they will become soft and mushy. Drain and cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are cooking, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together in a bowl.
- Put the warm potatoes into a large bowl with the red onion, capers, olives, and herbs. Pour the vinaigrette over the top and gently toss together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the best flavor, eat the potato salad while still warm. However, you can also make it in advance and let cool to room temperature before serving.
Variations: Use scallions (spring onions) instead of red onion. Vary the herbs: try chopped rosemary, cilantro (coriander), dill, or tarragon. Add a teaspoon of mustard to the vinaigrette. Stir in some chopped roasted bell peppers or sun-dried tomatoes.
- Potato Recipes