Forget the store-bought stuff. This stuffed seitan roast is an entrée that will satisfy all your guests. Herbs like rosemary, thyme, and smoked paprika are worked into the seitan dough, adding to its flavor and visual appeal. The stuffing is made from meaty mushrooms, carrots, apple, and nuts and raisins, if desired and then the whole roast is boiled in savory vegetable broth in order to infuse it with umami flavors. Yum.
Vegetable Stuffed Seitan Roast [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Vegetable Stuffed Seitan Roast [Vegan]
For the Seitan:
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 3 tablespoons brewer 's yeast (optional)
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
For the Filling:
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 6-7 mushrooms
- 1 red pepper
- 1 apple
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Nuts and raisins (optional)
How to Prepare Vegetable Stuffed Seitan Roast [Vegan]
- Julienne the vegetables for the stuffing. Fry the onion and garlic when the onion is transparent, add the remaining vegetables and fry until almost ready. Add the nuts and stir.
- In a large bowl, mix the vital wheat gluten, brewer's yeast, and herbs. In another small bowl, mix the soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, chopped garlic, and 1/2 cup of vegetable broth or water.
- Pour the mixture of the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl, stirring until the liquid is completely absorbed. Then, knead seitan about 5 minutes. We place the dough on top of a piece of transparent film and distribute well giving rectangular shape (we can use a rolling pin to crush better). We put the stuffing inside leaving a free edge and roll up.
- Place the dough on top of a piece of plastic wrap and spread it out into a rectangular shape. Place the stuffing in the center, leaving the edges free.
- This step is optional, but to make the seitan look like a roast, you can wrap it completely in plastic wrap and wrap a rope around it a few times.
- Fill a large pot with water or vegetable broth and 1/4 cup of soy sauce, then bring to boil. Carefully place the seitan inside and turn the heat down to medium-low. Cover slightly — leave a gap for steam to escape, and cook for 45 minutes, turning the roast occasionally.
- When done, turn off the heat and let stand 15 minutes before removing the roast from the pot and letting it drain in a colander. Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Place the roast on a baking tray with a little broth and bake for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve with roasted vegetables.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.