Bulgogi is a Korean dish that usually consists of thinly-sliced, grilled marinated beef. In this vegan version, beef is replaced with textured vegetable protein. The marinade is a mixture of savory and sweet, with ingredients like tamari, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, garlic, and grated ginger. Serve over a bed of rice for a filling and flavorful meal.
Vegetable Protein Bulgogi [Vegan]
- 1 cup fine textured vegetable protein (TVP), soaked in water according to package directions
- 1 small carrot, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, reserve some of the tops for garnish
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil with the red pepper flakes and chopped garlic.
- Add the ginger and brown sugar. Stir together to form a paste.
- Drain the textured vegetable protein and add to the skillet. Add the carrot, too. Mix well.
- When the moisture from the TVP has cooked away, spread it evenly in the skillet so it will brown a little bit. It will take a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the tamari, adjust the seasonings as desired.
- Serve over rice.