Poha is uncooked basmati rice that has been rolled thin in the same way that rolled oats are made. Traditionally this meal is made with onions, spices, herbs, and nuts. It's usually served for breakfast!
Vegetable Poha [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups poha (the thick kind)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon salt divided adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons coconut or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 red chili
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1/3 cup green peas I used frozen, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
- 1 small carrot diced
- 1 small sweet potato diced
- 2 tablespoons raw cashews
- Garnish green onion cilantro, and lemon juice.
- Place poha in a strainer and rinse it under cold running water until it turns soft.
- To check if it’s done, press a flake between your thumb and index finger, it should break easily.
- Add turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the poha and gently toss to combine (I use my hands). Set it aside.
- Next heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then add the chopped onion, chili, and curry leaves. Cook for 2 minutes until the onions soften.
- Add the green peas, carrot, and potato and mix. Cover and allow to cook on low heat for 15 min or until potatoes are tender.
- Then add in the rinsed poha and cashews, toss to combine. Taste test some poha and if it feels dry, sprinkle little water all over.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes. Also tastes test and add more salt as needed.
- Then turn off the heat, squeeze in some fresh lemon juice. Garnish poha with green onions or cilantro and serve.