My Sesame Tofu was incredible. If I had eaten it out of a take-out container, I would have sworn it came from a really good Chinese restaurant. Now, I don’t have to miss Chinese food anymore but I need to learn how to make gluten-free fortune cookies.
Sesame Tofu [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Sesame Tofu [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2 Tbs. water
- 1 Tbs. peanut or sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. agave nectar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package gluten-free extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/2 cup arrowroot, divided
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 Tbs. peanut oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. fresh ginger, minced
- 4 Tbs. mirin or rice wine
- 2 Tbs. tamari
- 2 Tbs. gluten-free Hoison sauce
- 2 Tbs. agave nectar
- 2 Tbs. spicy chili sauce
- Zest of one lemon
- 2-3 Tbs. sesame seeds
- 2 Tbs. scallions, finely sliced
How to Prepare Sesame Tofu [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Cut tofu into cubes. Combine ingredients for the marinade in a bowl. Toss the tofu cubes in the marinade and let sit for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Mix 2 Tbs. of the arrowroot with ¼ cup of cold water to create a slurry and set aside. Put the remaining arrowroot on a plate. Remove the tofu cubes from the marinade, shake off any excess and coat the tofu in the arrowroot. Heat 1 Tbs. of the oil in a large sauté pan or wok over medium-high heat. Cook the tofu cubes in the oil until they are browned and crisp on all sides, about 7 minutes. Remove the tofu from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the remaining Tbs. of oil to the pan. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the mirin, tamari, Hoisin, agave, and chili sauce to the pan. Stir and bring to a simmer. Mix the arrowroot-water slurry into the sauce. Continue to cook the sauce until it thickens.
- While the sauce is cooking, toast the sesame seeds in a small skillet over low heat. Move them around with a spatula every so often and make sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. When they get a bit brown and toasty, remove them from the heat.
- Add the tofu to the sauce and toss to coat and reheat the tofu. Turn off the heat. Add the lemon zest. Garnish with the toasted sesame seeds and scallions. Serve with brown rice and steamed vegetables. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 835 | Total Carbs: 69 g | Total Fat: 68 g | Total Protein: 36 g | Total Sodium: 2,362 mg | Total Sugar: 10 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.