This is a really simple dish that tastes elegant. Hearts of palm are the perfect stand-in for scallops. They have a similar look when sliced and a briny quality reminiscent of seafood—great for those with a shellfish allergy.
Vegan Scampi in Lemon Garlic White Wine Sauce [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 jar (14.8 ounces) hearts of palm
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 8 ounces linguine or pasta of choice (gluten-free, if desired)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs (gluten-free, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
For the Scampi:
- Fill a large pasta pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, carefully slice the hearts of palm crosswise into 1/2-inch (1 cm) slices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the hearts of palm.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper. Sear until gold brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Gently flip each slice over.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and ⅛ teaspoon of pepper. Sear for another 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate.
For the Pasta:
- Drop the pasta in the boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons (28 ml) of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the white wine and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until the liquid reduces by about half. Add the lemon juice and vegetable broth and simmer for 5 minutes until reduced and glossy.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss to combine. Add the seared hearts of palm to the skillet along with the parsley and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Stir together the panko bread crumbs and the nutritional yeast, if using. Sprinkle over the pasta and toss everything to combine.
Are you avoiding alcohol? Use the same amount of vegetable broth with 2 table- spoons (28 ml) of white wine vinegar. If you have kids in the kitchen, have your kids stir the bread crumbs and nutritional yeast together and sprinkle it over the pasta.