Try this vegan version of fried matzo for Passover. It's a delicious Jewish tradition.
Fried Matzo [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Fried Matzo [Vegan]
- 1 package of silken tofu (or any tofu)
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. dried garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. black salt (or Kosher salt)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour (or any flour)
- 1 Tbs. arrowroot powder (or corn starch or potato starch)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 – 1 cup water
- 8 sheets of matzo
- 2 stalks of scallions, finely chopped (optional)
- Cooking spray
How to Prepare Fried Matzo [Vegan]
- In a large bowl or food processor, add the silken tofu, turmeric, garlic powder, black salt and olive oil. Mix well.
- Add the flour, arrowroot powder and non-dairy milk.
- Add water slowly while mixing/processing until you have a very loose batter.
- If you are using any other ingredients like scallions, add them into the batter.
- Break the matzo into pieces (I broke each sheet into 4 pieces) and soak in a bowl of warm water for about 30 seconds, just to soften it. Set the pieces aside.
- Heat a large skillet and spray with the cooking oil (or if you’re not worried about calories, just use oil).
- Take the pieces of matzo and dunk them into the tofu batter.
- Shake off the excess (it cooks better when the matzo has a thin coating of batter) and put them in the hot pan to fry.
- When you see the batter brown, flip the pieces and fry the other side. It should take about 4 minutes on each side, depending on crispy you want the matzo.
- Cook in batches until you have fried all the matzo.
- Top with the garnish or sauce of your choice.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per piece (before added calories from frying): Calories: 55 | Carbs: 1 g | Fat: 1 g | Protein: 1 g | Sodium: 4 mg | Sugar: 0 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.