A basic banana cream pie with fresh ripe bananas, almond milk, and vanilla pudding. You can totally choose how to build your banana cream pie to your tastes and dietary needs. This is a special occasions recipe and sometimes you want to blow your guests away with a totally vegan and plant-based treat.
Chocolate Banana Cream Pie [Vegan]
8 - 10
Ingredients You Need for Chocolate Banana Cream Pie [Vegan]
- 1 graham cracker pie crust (look to see if it contains honey- if concerned, many don’t)
- 3 oz. semi sweet baking chocolate (dairy free)
- 3 bananas, ripe
- 2 cups almond milk or other non dairy milk
- 1 package vanilla pudding mix (not instant the stovetop kind)
- 1 can coconut milk (regular, not light)
- 2-3 teaspoons maple syrup or confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla powder
- 1 oz semi sweet baking chocolate (dairy free)
How to Prepare Chocolate Banana Cream Pie [Vegan]
- Remove graham cracker crust lid. Melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- With a spatula carefully spread chocolate mixture over crust, gently dragging it up the sides. Set crust in refrigerator to harden.
- When chocolate is firm, slice one of the bananas and place half of it on the bottom of the crust. Reserve the other half banana.
- Blend 2 remaining bananas with 2 cups almond milk in a blender. Add to a saucepan with vanilla pudding mix and cook as directed on package. This makes the vanilla pudding turn into banana pudding with no artificial flavors. (Bring to a boil over medium to medium high heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils.)
- When thickened pour into pie crust and cool until chilled and set. If you want the lowest fat version, stop here and serve as is without coconut whipped cream and chocolate drizzle
- Garnish top of pie with remaining banana slices. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours until set.
- If desired top with coconut whipped creme and chocolate drizzle, or serve as is for a lower fat version. Instructions below.
- Place can of coconut milk in refrigerator for 6-8 hours, or in freezer for 3-4 hours until really really cold.
- Place metal bowl and egg beaters or immersion blender stick in freezer for minutes.
- Remove can from freezer and turn upside down. Open can and pour off coconut water. (reserve for another recipe such as a smoothie).
- Remove bowl from freezer and scoop out coconut cream with a spatula and add to chilled bowl.
- Whip cream until light and fluffy. Add maple syrup or vanilla extract if desired. Whip again until combined.
- Garnish or serve.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt chocolate (1-1/2 minutes on high).
- Drizzle over pie or dessert and serve.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.