These chilaquiles are perfect for when you have overnight guests and need something that is already half done for the morning or for a quick dinner.The trick is to put the tofu over the chips before the sauce. It absorbs the flavor of the salsa and the chips withstand longer without becoming soggy.
Chilaquiles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chilaquiles:
- 1 bag baked gluten-free tortilla chips (about 16 ounces)
- 10 tomatillos
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo (if ground) if not a whole chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 package of extra firm tofu (14 ounces)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado, diced
- Chopped cilantro
- Boil tomatillos in water.
- Roast garlic in skillet or toaster oven, unpeeled.
- When tomatillos and garlic are cooked, put them in the blender with bunch of cilantro, chipotle and salt. Blend everything until well integrated.
- Drain tofu. If you feel you have a lot of water put it between paper towels and put something heavy on top. Leave it for a while until it is drier (about 20 minutes). Crumble in a bowl and mix with onion and salt.
- To serve the chilaquiles, put chips in a bowl, followed by the tofu and then the sauce.
- Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro, a little chopped onion and diced avocado.