Vegetarian Kheema paratha is a protein packed Indian flatbread stuffed with spicy soy granules. Serve with some plant-based yogurt for a delicious meal any time of the day.
Veg Kheema Paratha [Vegan]
For the Stuffing:
- 1 1/2 cup Soy granules (or TVP), soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 3~4 Scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger+garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili powder (adjust as per taste preference)
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- To taste salt
For the Paratha:
- 2 cups Atta (Wholewheat flour)
- To taste salt
- 1 tablespoon Oil + more for cooking
Make the stuffing:
Heat oil in a pan; add the green onions, ginger+garlic paste and cook till the onions are tender. Add the drained soy granules and cook for 4~6 minutes.
Stir in turmeric, red chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, garam masala and salt. Mix well and cook for another 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Prep the dough:
In a medium mixing bowl; combine flour, salt and 1 tablespoon oil. Mix well and add just enough water to make a soft, pliable dough. Knead for 2~3 minutes. Cover and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Roll each part into a ball, flatten it slightly - place generous amount of stuffing in the middle. Cover the stuffing with the dough and flatten slightly. On a floured surface, roll out the stuffed dough into a disc. Make it as thin or thick as you like.
Cook on preheated tawa/ skillet, until brown spots form on one side, about 2 minutes. Gently flip and cook on the second side for another 2 minutes. Brush with oil or ghee while hot. Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing. Serve immediately.