This Vegan Tuscan Kale Chickpea Soup is the perfect comfort and flavorful bowl of goodness for those cold winter days. Filled with herbs and spices, kale, chickpea, carrots, tomatoes, and onions, this soup is quite the healthy meal and surely does warm things up nicely. Super easy to make and only requires one pot. All vegan + gluten-free.
Tuscan Kale Chickpea Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Tuscan Kale Chickpea Soup [Vegan]
- 1 (15 ounces) can chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- 4-5 cups fresh kale, chopped (See Notes!)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled + diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 3 cups fresh water
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 Tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast + 1 Tablespoon if desired!
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
Spices and Herbs:
How to Prepare Tuscan Kale Chickpea Soup [Vegan]
- Begin by adding 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil to the dutch pot on medium-high heat.
- Add in the onions, carrots, tomatoes, garlic, and Sauté for 1-2 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add in the vegetable broth, water, seasonings/herbs, nutritional yeast, juice of half a lemon, followed by the kale, chickpeas, and a bay leaf, stirring everything until well combined and it begins to boil.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Once done, remove from heat and serve immediately into prepared bowls and top additional nutritional yeast or diced jalapeños peppers for extra spice.
- Enjoy with a homemade garlic bread or crackers (See Notes).
- Bon Appetit!
NUTRITIONAL YEAST: This is a highly nutritious vegan ingredient that has a ton of benefits. Jam packed with B-Vitamins, Folic Acid, Zinc, and Protein. Taste wise—nutritional yeast has a cheesy, nutty, savory, ‘umami’ flavor. STORAGE: Leftovers can be stored in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, for optimal freshness. Can also be frozen for 4-6 months. To defrost, simply place soup in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature before re-heating on the stove top to serve. TURMERIC: While adding turmeric is optional, it definitely has benefits: powerful medicinal properties, natural anti-inflammatory ingredient, increases antioxidant activity in the body, and more. KALE: If preferred, you can always substitute Kale with Spinach or Collard Greens. SPICES/HERBS: If desired, you can reduce the amounts slightly. Please know that this recipe is bold in spice/herb flavor, so feel free to adjust based on your tastebuds.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.