This Turmeric Leek Vegan Risotto is a great winter meal when your fridge is running low on ingredients! Gluten-free and Vegan. To make this gluten-free Turmeric Leek Vegan Risotto all you really need are a few staples, that most of us usually have. Some spring onions (or regular onion will work just as fine!), couple cloves of garlic, a carrot, some leeks. A cup or two of risotto rice, and then some spices and frozen peas.
Turmeric Leek Risotto [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 spring onions
- 1 carrot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small leek
- 1 1/2 cup risotto rice (arborio, sant andrea,...)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- pinch of salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Finely chop spring onion, carrots, garlic, leeks and parsley.
- In a pan, heat a tablespoon of oil, add chopped onions, carrots, garlic and leeks and gently fry while stirring, until the vegetables soften.
- Add risotto rice and season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and half a teaspoon of turmeric.
- Pour in vegetable stock, add a cup of water and chopped parsley.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer on low, stirring the risotto occasionally.
- 5 minutes before the risotto is done, add the frozen peas and more water, if needed. The risotto needs to be wet and creamy at this point, with a bit leftover liquids in the pan.
- Once the risotto is cooked, remove the pan from heat and with a lid on let the risotto rest for a couple of minutes. During this time the risotto will soak up the remaining liquids.
- Serve hot with a teaspoon of chopped parsley.