In this recipe, creamy coconut milk is simmered with tangy shallots, garlic, and turmeric. As the flavors of the coconut milk and spices mingle, an assortment of fresh vegetables is thrown into the pot and cooked until tender. This simple, but flavorful recipe is ready for the dinner table in just 30 minutes! This dish is best when served hot, over a bed of fresh rice.
Turmeric Coconut Milk Vegetable Curry [Vegan]
- 1 cup long grain white rice cooked in water and vegetable broth
- 1 13.5-ounce can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 a head of broccoli, chopped in florets
- 1 cup baby rainbow carrots
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or water
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 a small shallot, chopped
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium-low heat. Once it's fully melted, add in the garlic and shallot. Let simmer until the onion is translucent and the garlic starts to turn brown. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the can of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of filtered water, and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, two bay leaves, and another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the broccoli and carrots and bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes, then lower the heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Taste the coconut milk broth and add more salt and pepper if desired, and a pinch of red chili flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Serve with long grain white rice and top with cilantro and lime juice.