This easy vegan Turkish bread sandwich made with fluffy pide and delicious ingredients like hummus and avocado. A great lunch recipe or a brunch!
Turkish Bread Sandwiches [Vegan]
For the pide bread:
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
For the sandwiches:
- 2 mini pide bread (if you don't want to make it, can also use store bought pide bread)
- 4 tablespoons hummus
- 1/3 bell pepper
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup of arugula lettuce
- 8-10 sun dried tomatoes
- Make your bread first: Put warm water in a bowl and add yeast and sugar. Stir and set aside for 10 minutes. The water and yeast will froth. Add it to the flour and salt and mix it through.
- Now add the vegetable oil and knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes until elastic. Grease a bowl and add the dough. Wrap with cling film and let it proof for about and hour or until it doubles in size.
- Knead it through and divide into 4. Put on a baking tray and slice the dough 3-4 times diagonally across the top of the loaf. Brush with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover again with cling film and let it rise for at least another half hour.
- Pre heat the oven to 440℉. Remove the cling film and bake the bread in 30 minutes. Get ready to assemble your sandwich!
- If your bread is store bought, sprinkle bread with water and bake them in the oven at 450℉ for 5 minutes. Let them cool slightly and cut in half.
- Take 2 tablespoons of hummus and spread it on the bread. Add arugula lettuce on top of the hummus.
- Slice an avocado into thin slices. Put 3 to 4 slices of avocado on top of the arugula. Slice the bell pepper in thin slices a la julienne and put the slices on the avocado. Add sun dried tomatoes on top of the bell pepper.
- Ready to serve!
You will have extra bread!