This pizza is simple, authentic, and oh-so delicious. By only topping with basil, red onion, and olive oil, you get to focus on the classic Italian flavors like the salty-sweet sauce made from tomatoes. After biting into this pie, you will be convinced that cheese is not a pizza must-have.
Simple Tomato and Onion Pizza With Spelt Crust [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups and 2 teaspoons whole wheat flour
- 1 1/3 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons of active dry yeast
- 1 cup of water
- 3/4 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon of whole salt
For the Toppings:
- 14 ounces of peeled organic tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh basil
- Black pepper
- Boil flour, yeast, water, salt, and oil for 5 minutes.
- After flouring your hands, make a ball with the dough. Put it in a bowl, cover with film, and let it rise for 1 hour to 1 and a half hours.
- Flour your work surface and hands. Stretch the dough to form a small rectangle.
- Bend the top third of the dough inward and cover with the bottom third.
- Let the dough rise at 200°F.
- Put the dough in the bowl, cover with film, and let it rise for 15 minutes. Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours. Bring the dough to room temperature, allowing it to rest for about three hours.
- On a floured work space, do the folds again three times. Put the dough in the bowl, cover with film, and let it rise for 30 minutes. Applying oil abundantly to your hands, put the pizza on a baking tray with oven paper. Cover with film and raise another 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 460°F. Cut the onions and cook them in a pot with little water. When it is completely absorbed, add the oil and let it boil in low heat for 2 minutes. Add the peeled tomatoes (process in a food processor first to make this process smoother). Bring the flame to medium heat, salt and pepper, and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Let the pizza bake without seasoning for the first 15 minutes.
- Take the pizza out, distribute the sauce, and bake again for another 10 minutes.