Hearty chickpeas are baked in a rich tomato sauce and topped with creamy ricotta. Enjoy as is or added to avocado toast for a quick lunch! Toast - with its delicious yet neutral flavor, is the perfect vehicle, soaking up all the lingering flavors and acts as an edible spoon, gathering up the last morsels of a meal. And man does it do it justice here! And this recipe sums up a motto I like to live by: When in doubt, put it on some avocado toast.
Tomato Baked Chickpeas Over Avocado Toast [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots or 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups diced tomatoes, canned
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- Dash of chili flakes
- Sea salt
- 2 (14 ounces) cans chickpeas or white beans, drained and rinsed
- Handful of plant based ricotta
- Handful of parsley or cilantro
- Slices of sourdough bread + avocado
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the shallot and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for about 7-10 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, seasoning, chili flakes and salt.
- Lower the heat to a simmer (stir often) until a thick sauce forms, about 10 minutes.
- Once it's cooked, stir in the beans and mix well to coat.
- Pour the tomato beans into a medium-sized baking dish and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Pull the baked beans out of the oven and sprinkle with the ricotta. Put it back in to the oven and cook for another 5 minutes, until the ricotta has slightly melted.
- Top with the parsley/cilantro and enjoy the baked beans as is or over toast!
- Take a slice of toast, layer on the baked beans and then the avocado. Top with sea salt, black pepper, squeeze of lemon and enjoy!