This vegan shawarma has all of the Middle Eastern flavors of a classic shawarma and even looks pretty similar. Just simply swap out the meat for tofu.
Tofu Shawarma [Vegan]
- 14 ounce pack of tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- Preferred garnishes
- After the tofu has been pressed (see note below) slice it into thin strips and lay flat on a board.
- Grind up all the spiced (if using whole) and mix together.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture on both sides of the tofu.
- Add the olive oil to a pan, heat on medium heat, and cook the tofu on both sides until browned.
- Cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces.
- Serve as a salad or in pita bread.