This protein-packed sandwich will keep you full until dinnertime. Tofu is scrambled with red chard, sautéed mushrooms, and bell pepper with flavor added from soy sauce, vinegar, and tahini. Adding a variety of sauces enhances the flavor, plus you can finish with any additional seasonings that you love.
Tofu Scramble and Red Chard Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1 14-ounce pack extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2 cups red chard leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup White Button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Drain and press tofu prior to starting.
- Grease a non-stick pan and heat. Add crumbled tofu and cook, uncovered, until dry and mild golden in color.
- Add red chard and sauté.
- Add rest of the ingredients and sauté well.
- Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes. Remove the lid and mix again.
- Cook again uncovered for 3-4 minutes.
- Lastly, add tahini and mix very well until well blended.
- Turn off the flame and place the stuffing between your choices of bread slices and grill the sandwiches or use sandwich maker.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Make sure to chop red chard as fine as possible. Measure red chard after chopping. Drain and press tofu before crumbling. The above calculated nutritional info does not include bread. You can use any bread of your choice and calories would vary accordingly. This sandwich stuffing can be refrigerated in an airtight glass container for 5-6 days.