Here is a compassionate version of veal piccata. Tofu cooked in a delicious sauce of vegan butter, white wine, parsley, garlic, lemons, and capers. You can serve it with a side of fingerling potatoes that are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. This dish is so amazing, it will have people shouting, “Bravo!” and asking for an encore.
Tofu Piccata [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Tofu Piccata [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 block of extra-firm tofu, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1/4 cup dry vegan white wine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 6 or 7 fresh lemon slices
- Fresh parsley for garnish, chopped
How to Prepare Tofu Piccata [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Cut the tofu into 8 slices. I do this by cutting the block in half width-wise, then cutting each half-block into 4 thin rectangular slices.
- Put the chickpea flour on a plate. Season it with salt and pepper. Coat both sides of the tofu slices with the flour.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the tofu slices until they are browned and a bit crisp on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the tofu to a warm platter and set aside.
- Add the wine to the pan (it is safer to take the pan off the heat when you do this) and then add the minced garlic. Cook until the garlic is slightly browned and the wine is mostly evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, lemon juice and the capers to the pan. Return the tofu to the pan and let them cook in the liquid for about a minute on each side. This will allow them to soak in the flavor of the liquid. Then transfer the tofu back to the warm platter.
- Add the vegan buttery spread and the lemon slices to the pan to complete the sauce.
- When the spread melts, pour the sauce over the tofu. Garnish with the chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices.
- Serve with any side dish you desire. I heated a pan with a mix of oil and vegan buttery spread. Then cooked some cut up fingerling potatoes with salt, pepper, and rosemary. I let them cook until they were brown and crispy on both sides. Decadent! Tofu Piccata and Fingerling Potatoes are a perfect duo!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1244 | Total Carbs: 33 g | Total Fat: 102 g | Total Protein: 47 g | Total Sodium: 1114 g | Total Sugar: 5 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.