A bhurji, in India’s culinary lexicon, is a messy scramble of any sort. There’s anda bhurji, or egg bhurji, a spiced-up version of scrambled eggs that blazed a path from India’s street food stalls to become a popular breakfast staple in every home kitchen. And then there’s paneer bhurji, a popular restaurant dish made with the creamy Indian cottage cheese paneer, that’s spicier, more lavish, and — dare I say it — more delicious.
Tofu Paneer Bhurji: Indian-Style Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
- 1 14-oz pack firm tofu. Place the tofu in a colander and cover with a paper napkin. Place a heavy weight on top and leave it alone for 15 minutes to drain out any excess water from the tofu. Don’t worry if the tofu crumbles a bit– you are going to crumble it anyway.
- 12 cashew nuts, soaked in ½ cup of water for 30 minutes, then blitzed into a smooth paste
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and saute until they start to brown.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Saute for a minute, then add the green peppers, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric and paprika. Stir to mix and add the tomato puree.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato puree is thick and a few shades darker.
- Crumble the tofu and add it to the saucepan. Stir well to mix,
- Cook the mixture on medium heat for about five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the cashew cream and salt to taste. Turn off heat.
- Stir in the coriander leaves and lemon juice. Serve hot with naan.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Calories: 95 Fat: 5.4 grams Carbohydrates: 7.7 grams Fiber: 2 grams Protein: 5.6 grams Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Sorry but this is very mild. It looks great and has great potential but needs a bit more kick.