A bhurji, in India’s culinary lexicon, is a messy scramble of any sort. There’s anda bhurji, or egg bhurji, a spiced-up version of scrambled eggs that blazed a path from India’s street food stalls to become a popular breakfast staple in every home kitchen. And then there’s paneer bhurji, a popular restaurant dish made with the creamy Indian cottage cheese paneer, that’s spicier, more lavish, and — dare I say it — more delicious.
Tofu Paneer Bhurji: Indian-Style Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Tofu Paneer Bhurji: Indian-Style Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
- 1 14-oz pack firm tofu. Place the tofu in a colander and cover with a paper napkin. Place a heavy weight on top and leave it alone for 15 minutes to drain out any excess water from the tofu. Don’t worry if the tofu crumbles a bit– you are going to crumble it anyway.
- 12 cashew nuts, soaked in ½ cup of water for 30 minutes, then blitzed into a smooth paste
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt to taste
How to Prepare Tofu Paneer Bhurji: Indian-Style Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and saute until they start to brown.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Saute for a minute, then add the green peppers, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric and paprika. Stir to mix and add the tomato puree.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato puree is thick and a few shades darker.
- Crumble the tofu and add it to the saucepan. Stir well to mix,
- Cook the mixture on medium heat for about five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the cashew cream and salt to taste. Turn off heat.
- Stir in the coriander leaves and lemon juice. Serve hot with naan.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Calories: 95 Fat: 5.4 grams Carbohydrates: 7.7 grams Fiber: 2 grams Protein: 5.6 gramsNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.