Traditional halloumi is a Cypriot cheese with a high melting point that makes grilling and frying easy. In this recipe, tofu is marinated to give it the flavor of halloumi and grilled in a waffle iron or grill pan. It has a cheesy, nutty flavor with a crisp and golden outside. Served with black sesame soba and a refreshing salad on the side, this dish is filling, flavorful, and unique.
Tofu Halloumi With Black Sesame Soba [Vegan]
For the Tofu Halloumi:
- 10.5 ounces firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1 handful of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Black Sesame Soba:
- 7 ounces soba noodles
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds, roasted
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons sumac or lemon zest mixed with salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil or olive oil
- Ripe mango, cut into chunks
- Tomato, diced
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- A drizzle of sesame oil
- Fresh coriander
To Make the Tofu:
- Drain and press tofu, then wrap it in a clean kitchen cloth to soak up the water, for about 15 minutes. When done, cut it into thick slices. Set aside.
- Mix up the tofu marinade by combining the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Adjust the amount of liquid so the marinade is not too watery and more of a thick paste.
- Lay out the tofu strips on a large plate and pour over a little marinade on each piece. Using a back of a spoon or your fingers, rub it in on both sides. Leave the tofu to rest for 15 minutes (or while you prepare the soba noodles).
- Heat up the waffle iron or a sandwich grill.
- Grill tofu for 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
To Make the Black Sesame Noodles:
- Cook soba noodles in salt water according to the instructions on the package.
- Mix together roasted sesame seeds, salt, nutritional yeast, sumac, chili (if using), and a few spoons of olive oil.
- Mix together soba noodles with the spice mix and serve immediately.
- Serve on a plate with mango, tomato, lemon juice, and sesame oil.