Crunchy, toasty and oh-so-packed with protein, this perfectly spiced bowl of quinoa makes a great topper for coconut yogurt, fruit and smoothies, or pair it with milk for a cereal alternative. It keeps for months in a sealed container (keep in the fridge for best results) which means you can be enjoying this for breakfast whenever you please!
Toasted Quinoa Cereal with Pistachio and Figs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons pistachios
- About 3-4 figs, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or brown rice syrup (optional)
- 3 ounces non-dairy yogurt (about one single-serve container)
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or if you don’t have parchment, alumninum foil, shiny side down).
- In a medium bowl, combine quinoa, pistachios, figs, coconut oil, cinnamon and maple/brown rice syrup (if using), stirring to coat evenly. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, then transfer to a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake 5 minutes, stir, then return to the oven for 5 minutes more. Quinoa should be lightly toasted and a little golden in color. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Portion yogurt into a bowl and top with half of the quinoa cereal. Store the remaining cereal in a glass storage container for the next day!