The most flavorful tofu dish with Thai-inspired flavors. This dish is packed with fresh basil, the perfect dose of heat and mending of flavors.
Thai-Inspired Basil Tofu [Vegan]
For the Marinated Tofu:
- 14 oz. extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained
- 1/3 cup tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
For the Basil Tofu:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 cup finely diced crimini mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 2 cups fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together tamari, maple syrup, paprika, and black pepper. Cut tofu into rectangles and place in marinade.
- Let sit for 15 minutes, flip, then 15 minutes more. Store in fridge while preparing the rest.
- Heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 5-6 minutes until fragrant and onions are translucent and soft. Roughly crumble in marinated tofu with your hands. Cook for 5 minutes more on medium heat. Whisk together miso paste with 2 tbsp of water to form a thin paste. Pour into the tofu and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk together tamari, lime juice, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Pour mixture into tofu along with fresh basil. Stir to combine. Allow to cook for 2 minutes then take off the heat.
- Serve basil tofu with fresh lime and dash of red pepper flakes!