This tempeh marsala would feel right at home on the menu of any neighborhood Italian restaurant! Tender cubes of tempeh and sliced mushrooms are simmered in a flavorful and creamy marsala wine sauce, making for a hearty meal that is sure to satisfy everyone's appetite.
Tempeh Marsala [Vegan]
- 1/2 block tempeh, cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup flour (use gluten-free if desired)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup marsala cooking wine
- 1/2-1 cup water (depending on the consistency you want)
- Add your cubed tempeh to a bowl and toss with flour, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Let it marinate for around 30 minutes.
- While waiting, slice up your mushrooms and onions. Add the veggies and butter to a pan over medium heat and sauté until cooked.
- Add your seasoned tempeh to the pan. Add marsala and water and stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Set heat to low and allow to cook for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the sauce is at the consistency of your liking. Add more water to thin it out, or more flour to thicken.
- Serve over your favorite grain.