This recipe transforms bland, flavorless tempeh into something wonderful. Tempeh is coated in spices and then cooked on the stovetop in white wine until soft, tender, and flavorful. They're topped with fresh tomatoes, garlic, and herbs. The skewers are entirely optional, but they help the overall presentation in this easy meal that's perfect for summer.
Tempeh Kebab Rolls [Vegan]
- 3 hot dog buns
- 4.5 ounces of tempeh
- 3/4 cup, plus 1/3 tablespoon white wine
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons Rass el hanout
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 small garlic clove
- A handful of chopped parsley
- Mix small leaf lettuce
- Olive oil
- In a bowl, prepare the spice mixture
- Combine the white wine, paprika, Rass el hanout, red onion, 1 garlic clove, 2 tablespoons olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the tempeh into 3/4-inch pieces and then add them to the spice mixture. Let stand for 1 hour, minimum.
- Place the tempeh mixture in a skillet and add the water. Cook until the water evaporates and the tempeh is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- If using the skewers for presentation, arrange your tempeh and place them in the hot dog buns.
- Chop the tomatoes, garlic, and a handful of fresh parsley. Garnish with a small drizzle of olive oil, the herbs, and the tomatoes. Serve.