Eating a plain salad isn’t always what I'm in the mood for. I like to switch things up with yummy, yet still healthy, add ins. Explore some possibilities of different add ons – like Lentils, Chic Peas, Beans, Raw / Vegan Cheeses etc with salads – keeping it vegan, healthy and tasty!! For this go around, I went with protein rich black beans and savory, tamari infused walnuts. Hearty, healthy and tasty.
Tamari Walnut Salad With Black Beans [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 3 Tbsp tamari
- Leaf lettuce- chopped
- Arugula – chopped
- Cilantro- to taste
- 1/4 Red Onion - sliced (use more or less, depending on taste)
- 1 Avocado - sliced
- 1 can (or freshly cooked) Black Beans – well drained
- Put the tamari in a frying pan (or bowl if you plan on dehydrating them). Stir well and place on heat. I keep mine on a low heat and stir several times while on the heat for a several minutes or until the Tamari starts to slightly bubble. I then turn off the heat, stir the nuts and let them cool down before I use them (optional).
- Before adding in Avocado (as it can get mushy) mix all ingredients together.
- Add in cut up Avocado. Serve plain or add your favorite salad dressing (oil and vinegar is great with this – always a good quality, cold pressed oil. White wine Vinegar is a good mix too! )