Skip the bowl and use the avocado shell to hold all the taco goodness in these taco-stuffed avocados. Creamy avocados are stuffed with tomatoes, jalapeños, red onion, fresh herbs, and taco-seasoned textured vegetable protein, a high-protein and gluten-free option for meaty vegan dishes. It's drizzled with an easy, creamy avocado sauce — just throw everything in a blender and it's good to go. This dish comes together in just 20 minutes, so it's great for an easy dinner or to take along to parties.
Taco-Spiced Veggie Meat Stuffed Avocado [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Taco-Spiced Veggie Meat Stuffed Avocado [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Stuffed Avocados:
- 1/2 cup dry textured vegetable protein (TVP) or 2 cups of prepared farro, quinoa, or sorghum
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons jalapeño, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 avocados
For the Avocado Cream Sauce:
- 2 avocados, sliced and seeded
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 finely minced garlic cloves or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Garnish:
- Lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro
How to Prepare Taco-Spiced Veggie Meat Stuffed Avocado [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Place textured vegetable protein in a medium bowl, pour hot water over the protein, add the taco seasoning, stir, and allow to set until water is absorbed completely.
- If you use farro, quinoa, or sorghum, add the taco seasoning to the grain the last 10 minutes of the cook time.
- While the TVP is absorbing the water, mix together the tomatoes, jalapeño, red onions, and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper, cover, and set aside.
- Slice and juice the lime, slice and pit the 4 avocados, and pour the lime juice over them to prevent browning.
- Place the ingredients for the avocado cream in a blender and process until smooth, taste, and season to taste with sea salt. Transfer to serving dish.
- Scoop two heaping tablespoons full of the textured vegetable protein into each avocado, spoon some of the tomatoes and avocado cream over the vegetable protein, garnish with cilantro, and serve with a wedge of lime.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Serving size: 1/2 avocado Calories: 338 Fat: 25.7 g Saturated fat: 3.8 g Carbohydrates: 20.9 g Sugar: 4.8 g Sodium: 378.5 g Fiber: 13.2 g Protein: 11.1 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.