Syrian rice pudding is a creamy and delicious rice pudding flavored with rose essence. This rice pudding uses just a few simple ingredients but the end result is an absolutely delicious treat. It is a great make-ahead dessert and the leftovers are perfect for breakfast, too.
Syrian Rose Flavored Rice Pudding [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup rice (choose short grain rice like jasmine or arborio rice), rinsed and thoroughly drained
- 3 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 1/4 cup sugar (adjust as per taste)
- 3 tablespoons pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried rose petals, crushed (optional)
- In a medium heavy-bottom pan, combine the rice and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated.
- While the rice is cooking, whisk together milk, sugar, corn starch, and rose water. Make sure that the corn starch mixes well without any lumps.
- Add the milk to the rice and stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil, simmer stirring occasionally. Cook till the mixture thickens and rice is completely cooked through.
- Divide the pudding between the serving bowls, cover the top with plastic wrap and chill at least 2-3 hours before serving.
- Sprinkle with chopped pistachios and dried rose petals and serve.