A sweet and tangy stir-fry recipe that is healthy and delicious! A quick way to serve flavorful tempeh in 10 easy steps.
Sweet and Sour Tempeh [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Stir-Fry:
- 1 packet gluten-free tempeh
- 1 brown onion
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Large handful of snow peas
- 1/2 bell pepper
To Make the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 4 teaspoons of water
- Mix all sauce ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to the boil. Remove from heat and stir in cornstarch mixture to thicken. Set aside.
- Cut your tempeh into squares.
- Cut bell pepper into slices or chunks of desired shape and prep the snow peas.
- Add sunflower and sesame oil to a pan on medium heat.
- Fry off tempeh, turning until browned on all sides.
- Finely dice onion and add over tempeh and fry for a few minutes until browned (you may need to add a little more oil or water if it becomes dry).
- Add your prepped veggies and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the color becomes vibrant.
- Pour in your sauce and coat evenly. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice: sprinkle with sesame seeds and pineapple chunks (optional).