Sweet potato is used to recreate this classic comforting dish, but you can use whatever you plant-based option you like! Tempeh or seitan are also great choices. Either way the result is tender, savory, and delicious.
Sweet Potato Katsu Curry [Vegan]
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into large chunks and boiled until just soft
- Olive oil/vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour (for the curry)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 and a half cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 slice bread, chopped to crumbs in a food processor
- 2 tablespoons gram flour (or plain flour) (for the coating)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Soy milk
- Rice, to serve.
- Begin the curry sauce by sautéing the garlic and onion in a little oil until softened. Add the chopped carrots, plain flour and curry powder and mix well.
- Pour over the stock and add the maple syrup, soy sauce and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mean while, blitz together the breadcrumbs, then mix with the flour and sesame seeds. Pre-heat oil in your skillet/frying pan ready to shallow fry the sweet potato.
- Dip each cooked piece of sweet potato into the soy milk, and then coat in the breadcrumb mixture. Carefully drop into the oil and shallow fry each side.
- When the sauce has simmered for 20 mins, blitz with a hand blender so only a few lumps remain and the sauce is thick and chunky.
- Serve the sweet potato pieces and the sauce over sticky rice (or rice of your choice!)