These granola bars are soft, a little chewy, and oh so satisfying. Plus, they're packed with nutrients from the sweet potatoes, including beta carotene, fiber, anti-inflammatory properties, and antioxidants that aid in keeping our digestive tract healthy. All of that mixed with almond butter, gluten-free oats, and shredded coconut make for a perfect snack to give you energy and curb midday sweet cravings.
Sweet Potato Ginger Granola Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup steamed sweet potato/yam
- 1 cup unsalted almond butter
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped candied ginger (omit if want refined sugar free bars; replace with 1-2 teaspoons ginger powder)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- To prepare your sweet potato, peel and chop a medium sweet potato into chunks and place the chunks in your steamer in a large pot.
- Bring the water to a boil and steam the potatoes until they are soft and break easily with a fork.
- Measure out 1 cup of the steamed potatoes and add them to your food processor. Process them until little to no chunks remain.
- Add the remaining ingredients to your food processor except for the shredded coconut and candied ginger. Process this mixture until it's dough-like but not too smooth.
- Add the shredded coconut and candied ginger and blend them until just to combined.
- Place the mixture in your pan and bake it for 35 minutes until the top starts to brown and the center feels just firm to the touch.
- Let it cool before cutting it into 12 bars. Store the bars in an airtight container.