These sweet potato and black bean burritos have everything. The beans are well spiced and play well off of the tender sweet potatoes and delectable fried plantains but the guacamole is what really brings these burritos together. You'll never crave Chipotle again.
Sweet Potato Bean Burrito With Plantains and Guac [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Burrito:
- 1 cup dry pinto beans
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- A pinch of cayenne
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- Gluten-free burrito wraps
For the Guacamole:
- 2 avocados
- 3 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Soak beans overnight in a container with water and a pinch of salt. Make sure the water is a few inches above the beans.
- In the morning, strain beans in a colander, rinse and place in a medium pot with water completely covering the beans.
- Add a pinch of salt to the water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until beans are cooked, but not overdone and mushy.
- Strain and rinse them before setting them aside.
- In a medium pan, sauté onions over medium-high heat in 1-2 tablespoons of oil for 5-7 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking them for another minute.
- Stir in the spices and cook them for another minute.
- Add the sweet potato, beans, cooked rice, tamari, and water to the pan.
- Cover and reduce the mixture on medium-low heat.
- Simmer it for 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked and water has reduced.
- Taste it and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- While bean mix is cooking, peel and slice your plantain on a diagonal about 1/2-inch thickness. Heat oil in a frying pan and cook the plantain, about 3-4 minutes per side, until they're slightly browned.
- Combine all the ingredients for the guacamole in a bowl and mash the with a fork.
- Assemble your burrito the way you like it.