These muffins are an autumn inspired take on cornbread. They have sweet potato puree in them to add a little natural sweetness and some sage to make them fragrant and earthy.
Sweet Potato and Sage Corn Muffins [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 6 ounces corn flour (not cornmeal)
- 3 ounces gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon flax-meal (ground flax seed)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- Several whole leaves for garnish (optional)
- 1 3/4 ounces maple syrup
- 7 ounces non-dairy milk
- 5 ounces sweet potato purée
- 3 ounces olive oil or melted coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin and sprinkle the wells with some of the coarse cornmeal. Set the pan aside.
- Whisk together the flours, salt, baking powder, and flax meal until well combined, then stir in the sage. Make sure the sage is evenly distributed within the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, plant milk, sweet potato, and oil until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir or whisk until a thick batter forms.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full of the batter. Once all of the batter has been divided out, tap the pan on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles, then gently smooth out the tops of the muffins if needed. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with some coarse cornmeal then top with a whole sage leaf, gently pressing it down to adhere it to the batter.
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes until the top of the muffin springs back when touched. Cool 5 to 10 minutes in the pan, then move to a cooling rack.
You can serve these up on their own or dry them out a bit and use them to make stuffing or croutons. You could also serve them with coconut butter and cranberry sauce, but they are perfectly capable of standing on their own. Can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per One Muffin: Calories: 161 | Carbs: 20 g | Fat: 11 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 1463 mg | Sugar: 8 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile