Black rice has a deep black or purple color, which is an indication of it’s high antioxidant properties. The outermost layer of the rice grain contains one of the highest levels of the antioxidant anthocyanin than in any other known food. Paired with the vegetables, this black rice and veggies dish is amazing!
Sweet and Sour Vegetables With Black Rice [Vegan]
- 1/2 red capsicum, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 head broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup green peas
- 3 spring onions, diced
- 1 cup forbidden black rice
Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 3 dates, soaked 1/2 hr
- 1 garlic clove
- Large piece of ginger
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Cook rice according to instructions.
- Add a little water to a saucepan and then all the vegetables (except 2 spring onions). Cook until almost tender.
- Blend sauce ingredients and pour over the veggies.
- Cook for a further couple of minutes to heat up the sauce.
- Serve vegetables alongside black rice and garnish with green onion.
- Black Rice