You’re going to love digging into this richly savory fried rice with surprising bursts of tart juicy pineapple. Pile it high in your favorite bowl and serve with your favorite plant-based protein to complement the flavors, like teriyaki tofu. The addictive variety of flavors will have you making this dish again and again.
Sweet and Salty Pineapple Fried Rice [Vegan]
For the Rice:
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups long grain brown rice, cooked and cooled (for best results)
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds/cashews
- 2/3 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 2/3 cup fresh or canned pineapple chunks, juices reserved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 bunch of green onions, green and white parts sliced thin
For the Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Hot chili sauce (such as Sriracha), to taste
- In a large pan or wok on medium heat, toast the sunflower seeds or cashews for 2 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat a large dollop of coconut oil on medium-high heat. Add in the red pepper, 2/3 of green onion, and pineapple chunks, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and ginger, stirring again to incorporate.
- With heat on high, add in your cold rice and cook for another 5 minutes, until lightly toasty and fragrant.
- Fold in green peas and toasted seeds.
- With pan still cooking on medium, pour in tamari, sesame oil, and pineapple juice, and stir thoroughly.
- Season with as much chili sauce as you can handle, the juice of half a lime, and the rest of the green onions. Adjust with a pinch of salt or more lime, if needed, and serve.