These vegan Swedish meatballs are really easy to make and you can get all the ingredients in your local supermarket! The taste is slightly meaty and very rich in flavor. Combine it with a very nice savoury cashew sauce and you won't be able to tell it's not dairy.
Swedish Veggie Meatballs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Swedish Veggie Meatballs:
- 7.8 ounces cooked butter beans/lima beans
- 4.9 ounces boiled potatoes
- 3.5 ounces bread crumbs (gluten-free)
- 1/2 finely chopped sautéed onion
- 1.4 ounces finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons BBQ seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Some black pepper
For the Meatball Sauce:
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- 2 cups water
- 1 veggie stock cube
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper, to taste
- Pasta of your choice (gluten-free if necessary)
- Finely chop 1/2 onion and sauté in a bit of oil.
- Then add it, including all other vegan meatball ingredients into a large bowl and knead well until you get a dough like consistency. You might add a little bit more of the breadcrumbs if necessary.
- Then form balls with your hands (make sure they are nicely formed and dense) and roll them in more breadcrumbs.
- Fry them in sunflower or vegetable oil until they are nice and golden brown. Place on a plate lined with a kitchen towel in order for it to absorbs some of the oil.
- In the meantime cook some pasta (enough for 3-4 portions).
- To make the meatball sauce add all sauce ingredients into a blender until you get a smooth sauce. Pour into a pan and heat up. Add some freshly chopped parsley at the end.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and meatballs and garnish with some more parsley.