Making the perfect veggie meatball is an art and the secret is seasoning. These mushroom-chickpea meatballs are blended with fragrant onions, garlic, nutritional yeast for cheesiness, Sriracha, savory liquid aminos, and a few other spices. After being formed and baked until crispy, these meatballs are tossed in a creamy cashew sauce which tastes amazing over mashed potatoes, noodles, or rice. Yum!
Swedish Mushroom Meatballs [Vegan]
For the Meatballs:
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 2 cups diced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas, mashed
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons liquid aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A pinch of allspice
- A pinch of salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
For the Sauce:
To Make the Meatballs:
- Heat oil on medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook down for a few minutes before adding onion and garlic. Take off heat when onions are translucent. Set aside until cooled a bit.
- In a medium bowl, add all ingredients (including mushroom mixture). Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. If needed, mix with clean hands.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roll into balls a little smaller than a golf ball. If they seem crumbly, make sure you are pressing/rolling them firmly, a dryer mixture results in better textured meatballs.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20-30 minutes, turning over at the halfway point. Take them out when they have a lightly browned outer crust.
To Make the Sauce:
- Add cashews, water, vinegar, liquid aminos, and mustard to a blender. Blend on high until completely smooth.
- Heat butter in a large skillet. Add flour. Whisk constantly for a few minutes.
- Pour in cashew mixture along with the vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer. The sauce will begin to thicken. Add salt and pepper.
- Add meatballs and sprinkle with the fresh parsley.