Warm up your oven for this blackberry goodness! These crumble bars feature a soft crust infused with superfoods spirulina and turmeric, which gives it a bright green color that beautifully contrasts the deep purple color of the blackberries. These sweet, crumbly bars are simple to whip up and even easier to eat!
Turmeric Blackberry Crumble Bars [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon spirulina and turmeric (optional, to add color)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 8.8 ounces blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl mix the flour, sugar, and optionally, the spirulina and turmeric.
- To this, add the vegan butter, almond extract, and peanut butter and mix it (with your hands) until you get a crumbly dough.
- Cover a baking dish with parchment paper and use about 3/4 of the dough to make the crust, raise the edges a bit, and place the blackberries on top of the crust. Now, crumble the remaining dough on top of the blackberries and place the dish in the oven.
- After about 45 minutes, you can remove it from the oven and let it cool down completely, cut them in bars before they are completely cooled down. Keep in mind that if you're using fresh blackberries, check your dish after about 35 minutes and take it out when the crust gets a bit golden on the edges.